MENU is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

How to Change the Address on a Nebraska Car

After moving, you maychange address on car title documents in Nebraska so that your title always has up-to-date information on it. It is important to note that a title and registration address change in Nebraska is voluntary in most cases. However, while your car title is not used for identification purposes like your driver’s license is, it is always a good idea to make sure your vehicle records contain your current personal information.

Address changes on any of your title and registration documents are handled by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV title change address process simply requires that you fill out a form and submit it to a County Treasurer’s office. If you would like to update the details on your title and other vehicle records, read through the sections below to find all of the information you need to know.

Where do I update car title address information in Nebraska?

A Nebraska title change of address form can be picked up from any County Treasurer’s Office. All matters relating to car titles need to be completed in person, including address and name changes. Unfortunately, you cannot change your address online, through the mail or by phone when it comes to your car title. However, you have the option of visiting any County Treasurer’s Office in the state. This makes updating your title more convenient than applying for your first title, which must be done in the county where you live. There are 93 different County Treasurers’ offices to choose from in the state.

When should I change the address on a car title in Nebraska?

The car title change address process can be completed any time you move to a new permanent residence in Nebraska. Keep in mind that address changes on your vehicle ownership paperwork are usually voluntary, but completing the process can help keep all of your information accurate in the event you decide to sell your vehicle in the future. You can change your car title addressany time you move to a new permanent address within Nebraska. Most of the time, you will want to keep the information on your title and other driver records the same if you are only moving temporarily and plan to continue receiving mail at the permanent residence on file with the DMV. Changing your information for a temporary move only creates more paperwork, which may be unnecessary.

Do I have to update car title address information in Nebraska?

While you are not required to change the address on your car title itself, remember that you do need to update your address on other DMV credentials such as your driver’s license. When moving, you must change your address on your license within 60 days in order to avoid penalties. You may find it convenient to update your car title address while you are in the process of changing the information on your license. It is especially beneficial to update the address on your car title when you do this just in case your records ever need to be accessed. For example, if your car title and car were stolen, police can verify your information easier when it all matches. Note that updating your address on your license will not automatically change it on your title, or vice versa. You will need to complete two different processes in order toget your informationchanged on both of these credentials.

Note that moving in Nebraska does not affect the status of your car title even if you move from one county to another. However, your registration details may change if you move to a different county. Keep in mind that if you have moved to a new county, you will need to get new license plates and change your registration records when your plate renewal is due.

How do I complete aNebraska DMV title address change?

When you want to submit a Nebraska car title address form, simply visit any County Treasurer’s Office in person. During the process of changing your car title and registration documents, you should be prepared to pay a small fee to the Treasurer. It is helpful to be aware that in addition to changing your address on your registration and title documents, you can have the Treasurer add or remove a joint owner from your vehicle records for an additional fee, provided that at least one name remains the same on the record. This is a convenient option if you have recently moved and have also gotten married or divorced, which could affect your joint vehicle ownership. Adding or removing an owner’s name from the vehicle with this process is not the same as completing a title transfer, which is required when you sell your car or give it to a family member.

Are there other ways to change my car title address in Nebraska?

Many people choose not to update address on car title documents because it is not mandatory after moving. However, drivers can still update their address at a later date if they choose to do so. One convenient time to do this is when replacing a lost or stolen car title.

If you never took the steps necessary to change the address on your car title after moving, you can usually update your information when ordering a duplicate car title to replace a missing one. It is important to be aware that ordering a replacement title usually means you will be issued an exact copy of the original document. If you want a new address for car title paperwork, however, you will need to notify the County Treasurer at the time of your application that your information has changed.

To order a new title, you must visit a County Treasurer’s Office in person as you would for any other title-related matter. Remember, you do not need to go to the DMV office in your county in order to get a replacement title. Getting a new title requires that you fill out an application and pay a fee to the County Treasurer. Methods of payment vary by county, so it is best to contact the Treasurer ahead of time if you are unsure of what payment forms are accepted. Note that all of the owners listed on the lost title must sign the application, and all signatures must be notarized. If you requested an address change on your car title during this process, the new information should be reflected on the copy you receive of your title.

It might also interest you: